Saturday, March 03, 2007

Saturday morning

Saturday.
We've got a house full of Girl Scout cookies that we need to distribute and get the money for.
We ordered 10 boxes. I have no idea why. I ordered them around Christmas. (They're so smart to let the girls start selling over holiday break when people are feeling all WTF about all the crap they're eating.) I've been pretty darn disciplined about doing my vinyasa yoga or pilates every day. And seriously can feel some difference. I have triceps again. My abs are coming back although still covered in stretchy-had-2-big-babies skin. That skin that won't ever go away.
At any rate, I've been feeling really good about working out. My stress level has gone way down and I have more energy. Why is it when I don't work out for months on end I always cynically think that "more energy" thing is just a myth put out there by peppy, dopey, aerobic instructor types?
So yeah, 10 boxes of Girl Scout cookies. We've plowed through 4 in 2 days. BUT, we did have 3 little girls and 2 little boys here yesterday and they ate a lot of them. However, I will admit I must have 6 after dinner yesterday.

Today I have a prenatal in Detroit with a new client.
I have 5 clients now, have I mentioned this?
Very cool. Still worrying about how I'm going to break this to Mr. Senior Guy.
I'm due to attend 3 births in May. I can't fake my kids being sick that many times in one month.
I'm taking the kids to Royal Oak to play with their cousins while I do my visit in Detroit.

Then back home again. My mom and I are going to IKEA with no kids! Greg is taking them for dinner and to the indoor play structure place.
My brother and I got on my moms case about needing to buy furniture. She's had the same crappy bedroom set since 1975. It's a fake wood plastic monstosity. Really awful. And despite it being plastic, it's HUGE and unwieldy and just too much.
There's a huge armoire and a full length dresser with 2 hideous screw-on mirrors.
I think it must have been one of those grown-up, not hand-me-down furniture purchases made by my parents when they were still married. It's time to let it go. My mom claims she doesn't want to spend her money on new furniture because she doesn't have enough. But she'll be living here for pretty damn near free until she dies. She can afford to spend $1000 on an IKEA dresser and a new couch, coffee table.
We've all refused to move the plastic bedroom set.
My brother and I were talking on the phone last night about today's IKEA trip. He told me to come pick up his truck and make sure my mom doesn't leave the store with just a few new dish towels.
This morning my cell rang at 7am. It was my brother saying he was swinging by to give me a check for mom. He came over and gave me a $2000 check to give to her.
I said: She's never gonna cash this. You're crazy.
He laughed and said: I thought about that. Just tell her I'll never, ever talk to her again if she won't use it.
See, it's common knowledge in this family that my brother is her favorite. Certainly the most coddled, and it makes him fucking crazy. She talks to him like he's a baby and he's 35 years old. She tries to rub his cheek when he's talking to her. Makes him want to scream. Makes my sister and I laugh and cringe!
So if he threatens to never talk to my mom again, she will cash that check AND buy new furniture.

So I'm really excited to go to IKEA and help someone spend money on all new furniture!
In the meantime, we've been painting the apartment bedroom and slowly moving mom's things in. We're all excited about her moving in finally.
This week her ex-husband finally bought her half of the house from her, so she got a big check to put in the bank and is now finally free of his silliness, despite it being nearly a full year since they divorced!
Ugh, the drama!

Gotta get my kids ready for the day.
I bought really nice strawberries at the store yesterday and I felt really bad about it. I'm certainly not buying all-local all the time. But I try to respect buying things that are in harvest in MY part of the country. Michigan strawberries won't be here for another 3 months.
These Florida ones were lovely. It was like eating summer while looking out at the snow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
www.birthproject.com

Free Blog Counter