Wednesday, February 14, 2007

our current recipe for liking each other again

So my 2007 has been all right thus far.
I've made up my mind to do tings a little differently.
Greg and I have seemed to have figured out how really communicate and have each other on our radars again. This takes time and energy, but like most things, becomes effortless when the rewards start coming in.
We:
1. make sure we talk every morning before we start our day. And this does not mean talking about plans for our day, plans for our future, money, or work/chores/etc. This means telling a little story. Describing a dream you just woke from. Discussing how a certain stretch really opened up your tight lower back and other such non-stressful things.
2. we make sure to talk and cuddle in bed at night once the kids are asleep. this is much easier now that little E prefers to sleep in his own bed in S's room. after 8 years of co-sleeping, and 12 years of marriage, WE'VE GOT OUR BED BACK and WE'RE LOVING IT. this alone is enough to keep me from having another baby anytime soon.
3. we're making dates a reality.
4. we're making family time a reality. and this isn't stressful outings. this is "Hey what do you guys wanna do?" and then we all discuss and figure that out.
5. we're taking equal time with the kids and not escalating bad days by reacting to their moods in a negative way.

And personally,
I'm trying to pray every morning before I get out of bed. Generally, just a basic, but sincere prayer of thanks for all we have, for a good night's sleep, etc. and then a prayer for guidance and being grounded for the day. not getting myself into a tizzy over dumb shit and not being over-cynical. (I was telling Greg that one can be humorous without being cycnical~ cynicism generally stems from fear and embarrassment it seems)
I'm working out every day. Or at least 5-6 days a week. I stayed up late last night with Greg and was too tired to work out this morning. However, I am reminded of how good I feel when I actually do get up and just go. No dumb excuses. I'm wide awake all day and my stress is way down.
Also, since I'm doing vinyasa and also pilates, I feel 2 inches taller for the rest of the day after I finish. A nice bonus. Much more aware of my body mechanics again.
Oh, and we both quit caffeine. And even though I didn't drink much to begin with (unless at a birth all night), I've definitely noticed my inner neurotic worrier has chilled out and shut up. I'm liking that.

We had a lovely dinner this evening for Valentines Day. It was very expensive but very good and I've just reached a point where I say to myself, enjoy this day. Enjoy this meal. You're gonna die some day and there's no sense in denying yourself some indulgent things now and then.
So, I ordered a $7 martini (that was delicious!) and our meal was very pricey, but wonderful!
And I think I'm very turned on to martini's. I've been such a beer drinker. Good beer, mind you, but beer. I've always loved vodka too, but it seems my Polish blood loves it a little too much and it goes down too well, too quick. So I typically don't allow myself to drink it anymore out of fear. But a martini~ it was heavenly.
At first I was bummed that I had this wee glass in front of me and not a big mug of dark, rich beer. But I quickly realized that little glass packed a punch and one could sip it slowly and enjoy it more than a mug of beer!
I'll have to try that again sometime!

The other good part of walking into that restaurant tonight was that they were playing a great compilation of mostly 80s songs. As soon as we walked in Blondie's "Dreaming" came on. One of my favorite songs, and the one I have always said was my song for Greg. I met him in a restaurant, and that is the first line of the song.
My eyes got big and I said, "Oh my God! Listen! It's Blondie! It's Dreaming! This dinner was meant to be!"
Just one of those moments.

Ah, happy sigh.

A good night. Even if followed by cleaning the bank. Talked on the phone to T the whole time. Love it.

Off to bed. Greg fell asleep with the kids but I've had orders to wake him up and drag him to our bed when I got home.
Of course!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your evening out sounds lovely!

My DH and I will be going to a party this Saturday. This is only the second time we have been out alone in three and a half years since our first child was born.

I am excited and a little nervous.

I feel that I have been out of the "going out scene" for such a long time, and I haven't really missed it. I know it will be good for our relationship though. I think my husband misses our time together in this way more than he lets on.

Time to put aside my washed out, spittle stained jeans, and see if any of my frocks still fit :)

12:06 PM

 
Blogger Mid-life Midwife said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
www.birthproject.com

Free Blog Counter