Sunday, February 18, 2007

Prayers for Margaret





Prayers for my sweet mother-in-law, Margaret who is going in Tuesday for an operation to remove cancer from her breast. It is a small area, and she'll have 6 weeks of radiation treatment. She's very stoic and sensible. She doesn't freely emote but just like her son (my husband) that doesn't mean she's not feeling what an emoting person feels. Its hard for me to remember that sometimes.

When Derek, Margaret's husband lay dying in his own bed at home 5 years ago, she explained to me how it felt to be her in that moment. She said that even though she's grown older, heavier, etc. on the inside everyone still feels 21 when they envision themselves. That when she looked at her dying, emaciated husband she saw him as the handsome, confident, cheeky man he was when she fell in love with him.
As I've grown older, I've noticed the same thing. Greg has started letting a beard grow the past few weeks because he works outside and it's been so damn cold. The beard helps protect against windburn. It was shocking to see how much of his beard is gray! But when I look at him, I see him as I did when I met him~ me 21, he 24. I touch him and smell him and it's all the same as it was 12 years ago.

I posted the pictures of Margaret when she got married to Derek because she's a lovely person at any age. But last night as I lay in bed I kept remembering that conversation we had when Derek was dying. We were alone in the house for hours before anyone else showed up. It's quite a memorable day for me on so many levels. But anyway, the pictures are to celebrate her as she sees herself from the inside. Young, healthy, beautiful and vibrant.
We all believe this cancer is small potatoes and she'll come through with flying colors. So any good thoughts would be appreciated to add momentum to the success of her surgery and following treatment.

Here's to lovely Margaret, in all of her Mod 60's stylish ways and today as the funny, sweet woman who makes us laugh, cooks terrible food and knits beautiful things for our children!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
www.birthproject.com

Free Blog Counter