Monday, March 05, 2007

ISO last-minute sitter

We visited my mother-in-law Margaret over the weekend.
After having a great post-surgery vacation in Las Vegas (she'd planned the trip months before she was diagnosed with breast cancer and decided to go anyway), she came home from a dismal message from her doctor. During the surgery they removed one of her lymph nodes to test it and it has come back as being cancerous. This is obviously horrible news. She found out about an hour before I arrived with the kids. At the time she was said she was angry. Angry this was happening to her. Thought she was in the clear.

Today she has an appointment to discuss treatment options with her doctor. She was told to bring a family member to help her digest the information. She's asked Greg and he's asked me to come too.
I've had a prenatal this morning and since coming home have been on the phone cancelling work tonight and trying to wrangle someone to pick Sarah up from school and someone else to actually watch the kids while we're gone.

My mom hurt her chest/back while moving a really heavy box Friday. She described symptoms to me that sounded more like a heart attack than anything else, but of course she down-played it when I scolded her for not 1, telling anyone and 2, not going to the ER. So I'm not going to ask her because she's still sore.

My brother just opened his sandwich shop today, so he'll be busy.

My sister has a 3 hour class after work.

It's a crazy day. Greg is quiet and angry looking. I feel as if I need to tighten my seat belt as we're about to go on a very bumpy ride. Cancer is very hard. My aunt died of breast cancer. I remember the awfulness of it all. But between Greg and his mom and their tendency to not emote and then get really pissed is so hard for me to understand and be compassionate. I'm so used to women and family and friends who wear their heart and soul on their sleeves....this keeping it in stuff is just foreign to me. Very English.

Must go make more phone calls.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
www.birthproject.com

Free Blog Counter