Monday, October 16, 2006

IUD and ME

That's what I had put inside me this morning. Weird, huh? It is really so teeny-tiny. This picture makes it look huge, but I guess my midwife brain is used to envisioning the uterus as much larger than this (with a baby inside).

I'm feeling strangely empowered by this move. A small grin on my face as if I have some fabulous secret. **ssh! I can have sex and NOT think about when I'm ovulating, or wonder if my husband pulled out in time!**

wahoo! a new lease on my reproductive life, I tell ya.

feeling only ever-so-mildly crampy right now with a little spotting, but that's it. Why didn't I do this 2 years ago?

Meanwhile,my sister is in surgery right now. As is a good friend. So prayers to them both for no complications and an easy recovery.

4 Comments:

Blogger ladyelms said...

The question everyone wants to know, did it hurt?

(I'm ladyelms, btw, a long time reader. :))

4:21 PM

 
Blogger Mid-life Midwife said...

Welcome, and thanks for reading!

Ya know, it wasn't so bad. here's a brief summary:
speculum in, wipe all discharge from cervix.
insert long metal (?) stick into cervix to measure depth of uterus. **this was painful, like an active labor contraction,but over with in 30 seconds**
place the catheter with IUD inside uterus and deposit (didn't feel it at all) then trim the strings to about 2-3 cm
and DONE!
mild spotting today. mild, mild cramping. they schedule it so that you come in just as your period ends or is about to end so that your cervix is still a bit open.
can have sex now if I wanted to (or if my dh was awake!). so not bad at all.

11:21 PM

 
Blogger ladyelms said...

Thanks. I'm totally considering getting one now.

12:43 PM

 
Blogger Louisa said...

I couldn't love my IUD any more than I do. I love, love, love it not least of all because I actually have to make an appointment with one of my midwife friends to have the thing removed when next I fancy having a baby.
It's a great thing.

2:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
www.birthproject.com

Free Blog Counter