Thursday, September 28, 2006

My week

I just came home from helping my senior guy tonight. I went straight to the basement to get an old cassette tape (we have at least 60 of them) to record over. I borrowed neighbor E.'s tape recorder so I can make a study tape for myself to listen to while driving. I grab the first tape find in this huge mess of a box. I turn it on to see what I'm about to record over and it is Sarah when she was about 2 1/2!! She sounds soooo sweet! She in very clear and speaks in these fantastically long sentences. Much more than Eamon's 3 word clumpings. Not that I'm comparing, but she has always been a talker! I think her high-intensity personality forced language a little earlier so she could say what she wanted to get what she needed. Life became so much easier when she 1. began to walk and 2. began to talk. It is so Sarah through and through. I wish I was technically savvy enough to transfer her sweet talking from tape to computer, but nah, not me.

I'll have to play it to her in the morning. On the tape I'm obviously eating something and I ask if she wants a bite. And she says: No it's too yucky. I don't like that food.
And I said: Do I look like the type of person who would eat yucky food?
Sarah says: Yes! You do! You like yucky food and I -do- not!

She's only 2 months older than what Eamon is now. I can't imagine having conversations like that with him. He certainly talks, and understands, but Sarah understood humor and sarcasm early on (gee, with Greg and I for parents, its no wonder about the sarcasm!). Very sweet.

This week has been busy and nice and I can't believe tomorrow is already Friday. Today I had a prenatal with my new due in December client. She's very sweet and level-headed. I like her a lot. Feels good. She's having her second baby.

Its very cold out tonight. There's actually a frost warning in effect. Had to bring in our bay plant and rosemary. Days have been lovely, mid 60s, sunny/cloudy and little windy. Came home tonight and Greg had the space heater going in our bedroom. It was like a sauna in there. Its not even cold in the house. Of course he is sleeping in running shorts and a tshirt, while the kids and I all have proper pajamas on. Its taken him 10 years to finally wear slippers. We'll see if we can't goad him into some flannel pants this winter.

I finally received my prize-winning pillows from the Joy Browne show for the bit I wrote about why we deserved the Sleep Number bed (that I didn't win). The pillows are nice. A "down alternative". Very squishy and neck supporting. Greg doesn't sleep with a pillow so now we have 6 on our bed. I feel like a pregnant woman in my nest of pillows. Actually, I only use 2, one for my head and one between my knees, otherwise my hips hurt. I used to sleep with one, flat pillow (on my back) before I had kids. Now I'm all pillow-needy and on my belly (certainly from co-sleeping, Please Get Off My Boobs, breastfeeding mom induced change). I still love to sleep on my back (with pillow under my knees) but Eamon still unconsciously squiggles over and I quickly flip over only to have him flop on my back.

Gee, how I use a pillow. Earth-shattering excitement in this post.

Weeks summary:
worked for the senior, cleaned the credit union, had a pap/pelvic, discussed getting IUD next month (scheduled!), initial prenatal with new client, repacked my birth bags with new items purchased, don't have to work my 2-5 shift tomorrow but do have the 6-11. saturday the ladies and i are supposed to go to Corner Brewery for drinks in the evening. Yahoo.

The Detroit historical museum (if that's the right name) has totally re-done itself (um, with the help of contractors and humans, I'm sure) and has free admission this weekend. Its one of my fave museums and I haven't been there in at least 8 years. Thinking about taking the kids. They have free admission this weekend but that might make it too crazy. On the other hand, I don't know if anyone will necessarily be swarming the place either.

Sandra Cisneros spoke at U of M tonight for free and I came a sliver close to calling off work to see her. I love love love her writing. She's a really cool lady. I hope Tammy and Clint were able to go, I begged Tammy to go. After all, she's the one who turned me on to her.

All right, exciting post over. I was intending to start my study tape this evening, but I can't get myself to go back into the cold basement for another tape. And it's already 20 to midnight.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think we have some mini recorders you could use if you want so you could listen to it EVERYWHERE. i used it when i was in massage school for anatomy

9:56 AM

 
Blogger Kate said...

we have a mini recorder or two around here tha you could use. then you could listen to it EVERYWHERE. i used it to learn anatomy.

9:58 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
www.birthproject.com

Free Blog Counter