Thursday, July 20, 2006

more summer reading

Since I am stuck in the house even longer now with summer sickness, I'm continuing to read, read, read.
I started a novel called "Charms for the Easy Life", by Kaye Gibbons. My neighbor E. gave it to me a while ago. I'm not sure if she's read it yet. Its great. It takes place in N. Carolina in the early 1900s, slowly moving through the years telling about the fun/crazy life of a very strong-willed trio of women: a grandmother, mother and her daughter. The g'ma is a traditional healer and midwife. She takes her daughter and g'daughter on calls with her. It's entertaining and well-told. Their own stories are unfolding as I read on. There's definitely a lot to love about tales that take place down South. Especially in summer.
Thanks Elizabeth, for lending me such good reading to get me through these long summer days!

2 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

would you make a readingl ist on your blog that i can refer to . you seem to read such wonderful books that i would love to get to buti forget what they are and am too lazy to wade thru your posts to find out. sorry to hear about the kiddies.

4:53 PM

 
Blogger leaner said...

If you are ever in need of a short but inspriring book, read pretty much anything by Madeleine L'Engle http://www.madeleinelengle.com/

Her books are all CHristian based (I think) and she looks at the world and religion/spirituality in a totally different way. They are great, and short, and well, the best books (in my mind) I started reading them when I was a teen, "Wrinkle in Time" is my all time favorite book (and you can tell by my worn out copy of it! LOL)

I agree w/ reticulated mama, make a reading list. I am always looking for a new book to read.

12:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
www.birthproject.com

Free Blog Counter