Tuesday, August 22, 2006

YPSILANTI is Killing Us, or is it me?

A nice day ended with a very shitty good night. Just before Greg was about to come to bed, he got a call from his friend and co-worker, telling him that at least 50% of the traffic in the rail yard would be gone in 2 weeks. Meaning a lot of people would be laid off, and a lot of those people, indefinitely.
So he came to bed, told me the news and said that in 2 weeks he could be on unemployment, getting very small checks. We'll have no tenant come October 1. We won't be able to pay our bills. We should put our house up for sale, pull Sarah out of school and move into his mom's basement and try again. Start all over X years from now. I said no way. I would work 60 hours a week waiting tables to keep our house. And then of course, our usual argument of why did I even bother apprenticing if I was just going to go back to waiting tables? Why waste our time? Why make us so house poor? Why didn't I join the old practice? Why did I not take the bakery job? Isn't it lovely that I have options and standards and Greg has to slave away at this job he hates. and so on.
Awful. Lots of tears on my part. Makes me feel like a self-important princess but I know I'm not. And that I've worked my ass off apprenticing, cleaning, raising children and doing any little odd job I could over the last 5 years. Now my headache is even worse.
Part of me is silently leary of Greg's words because he is famous for his worse-case-scenario take on life. And I'm just the opposite. I suppose both of us, to a fault.
At any rate. I can't sleep. I don't know what to do.
The best bet to me would be to put an ad for the apartment upstairs. My mom said she'd understand if I had to do it. I can't wait for her house to sell and then for her to move in. Not if money is going to be so slim. Our house payment just went up.
Take insurance off of one of the cars.
Get rid of my motorcyle already. Please. Pay back a loan and finish up this NARM business.
I'm due to call the senior care place tomorrow morning and see what else they have to offer me.
Pray it's a lot more hours.

As much as I love my MIL, I don't want to live in Royal Oak. I don't want to live in her basement. I don't want my kids to go to school out there. I really don't think selling our house would be the best bet.

Ugh. This is all so crazy and horrible. Especially since Greg and me have been getting along so nicely for so long. Tomorrow is our 11th anniversary. What timing.

I don't think I've ever been this scared about losing everything. Damn these property taxes.
Damn this "old house" insurance coverage.

I had a woman due early April call about my midwifery services. Very interested, but had an iffy husband and says she hopes to call me back.
Greg really wants me to be a midwife. I'm completely at a loss at how to get my name out there without paying all these damn fees for directory listings. I thought about writing a nice cover letter and sending brochures to area churches. Couldn't hurt, right?

What to do? What to do?
say a little prayer for us, please.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

sorry to hear about this. i just cought up on your blog. strange enough last week i was inquiring to carol if hanibal (her husband who is a carpenter and a very good one) ever needed other employees or help. she said he may and she would get back to me. i know greg is really handy with that stuff. an option if you would like me to follow up on it. it will all work out. you will keep your house. deep breath. i think you should rent out your upstairs just for this year to get your head above water. it will all be ok.

7:01 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're not going to sell your house.

Thar would be the worst mistake you could evr mek in your life.

Wait and see what happens tomorrow, and the day after.

6:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prayers on their way to you all............

10:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
www.birthproject.com

Free Blog Counter