Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Summer vacation and no time to blog

Is it obvious that my child is out on summer vacation? The blogging opportunities are spacing out more and more. The only reason I'm on now is because my husband called at 6:20am to make sure I was up (I asked him to remind me to set the alarm for myself after it went off for him at 2am.)
This morning I have an interview with potential doula clients. Because of a funky work schedule, I'm meeting them at 8:30am. Sweet Kate is watching my kids so I can take another stab at getting a job.
Speaking of, a funny thing happened. Last week it occurred to me to pray for some employment. Anything. I did technically get hired by the senior home assistance people, but they're waiting for a late afternoon/evening client to open up for me. (BTW, this job seems cool because it doesn't seem too hard to be on-call while working for them.) So in the mean-time, I've been squaking by with my usual cleaning gig. Anyway, a good 14 hours or so after praying for some kind of employment, I get a call at 10pm on Thursday from someone looking for a doula. I met with her on Saturday. Very sweet. She's meeting with other doulas and will let me know by this weekend. The very next day my neighbor approached about a pick-your-hours part time job that would work great with Greg's schedule. Saturday afternoon as I came back from meeting with the potential doula client, I get a call from someone looking for a doula. I came close to not answering the phone as I was getting ready to get us out the door for our first Riverside Neighborhood Association (woohoo!) picnic (which was lovely, although I was disappointed there weren't more kids). So that call was the one I meeting with this morning.
I was quite pleased with all the opportunities over the weekend, but of course obsessed over whether I should take the job offered by my neighbor. After all, the doula clients are not a sure thing yet. But if I take the neighbor job and then get hired, I could run the big risk of having to leave a new job to go to a birth and make my neighbor look bad.
So yesterday, I took Sarah out with me to run some errands as Eamon and Greg napped. We went to my neighbors work and met his boss and then let my mouth run like a river, explaining quite honestly my predicament, saying I didn't want to appear flakey, and wanted to be honest with them, etc. Very sweet people.
After that I went to the senior home care place just quick to give them a copy of my SS card (that I couldn't find when I was last there). The guy informs me that they have something for me, he thought (?), and would be calling me in a couple days.
So hopefully, I'm making the right decisions and at least one person will hire me for a doula gig AND I'll have fast and efficient childcare for when that happens. (My prayers are endless regarding my work, I swear.)
Ooo, and yesterday I received an email from a sweet couple who are not yet pregnant but asked me about my midwifery services and fertility counseling. Which felt really nice because at least I know my Plaster Washtenaw County with My Literature Campaign is working. And sooner than the predicted 6 months.

In other news: I spent two nice days with my old pal Vanessa who is currently living in California but was visiting her dad in A2. We had beer at the Corner Brewery Friday (such a nice place) and she joined the kids and I at Independence Lake on Saturday. Very nice. It makes me wish that she lived around here though. It's always so nice to see an old friend and things just fall into place as if you were still in 8th grade and chatting it up. She goes back today. Have a safe flight, V.O. We'll miss you!

Kate and I have continued to run at least a few days a week. We watch the kids as one of us runs. I've gotten my self up from one measly mile to three now. I prefer to run the neighborhoods as opposed to the boring track in the park though. Greg prefers the track. I feel like a mouse on a treadmill there and quickly get bored. Too ADHD to do the track. I need the hills and scenery of running through neighborhoods.

Ventured to Ikea yesterday. Busy but not horribly so. I had a headache though and the store is huge. Eamon got way over-stimulated by everything and became a complete nut half-way through the store. It was like trying to hold a badger in a pillowcase. The kid was squirming and giggling, then whinging, the giggling again~ all the while either squirming in my arms, shrieking as he was tethered in his stroller, or running amok making old women sneer at me. My head was pounding. There's just too much to look at in that store. Someday when we go back, the kids will stay home. I did manage to pick up a nice press-pot for $12.99. The one I bought Greg at stupid Bed,Bath and Beyond this Christmas was $30. So now we have a decent back up for when we break the $30 one. (We break coffee makers and such at least every 4-6 months, so this one is due.)

All right, the alarm is loud in my bedroom. Both kids are sleeping in my bed and neither of them are waking up. We need to be to Kate's by 8:20 so I can meet this sweet pregnant woman. Then we're supposed to run in Kate's neighborhood when I get back.
That's if the rain isn't too bad. Kate's hardcore though. I'm sure she'll push on.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the "badger in a pillowcase" metaphor. And I sure do love your writings.

8:41 AM

 
Blogger leaner said...

You should totally get the Hamilton Beach Brewstation 12 cup (no pot to break) and it is awesome. I recomend it to everyone I know! (who drinks coffee!) I think ours was about $40 at Costco, but it is so worth it!

I know what you mean about no time to blog. With my sick baby I have barely had time to bath! It is awful.

12:32 PM

 
Blogger leaner said...

Never mind if you prefer the french press style coffee you might not like that pot, but I swear its awesome.

I bought a werid one for camping (as I am an addict to coffee) but haven't ever used a press-pot before. I need to try it out a few times before my reunion next week!

12:34 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

test

2:18 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
www.birthproject.com

Free Blog Counter