Sunday, May 21, 2006

Weekend cap

How nice, it's 8:30pm on Sunday and everyone in my house is sleeping except for me and Fuzz (the cat). Lucky goil.
Yesterday after hanging out at Crispin's birthday party we came home and planted our vegetable and herb garden. Greg made the raised rows for me while Sarah and I planted and Eamon just ran around like a mad man with a croquet mallet (surprisingly, no one got whacked in the head or ankle).
We've planted potatoes, red cabbage, cataloupe, cukes, pear tomatoes, roma tomates and grape tomatoes, dill, cilantro, parsley, basil, mustard greens, green beans, red peppers, green peppers, jalepeno peppers, some corn (never works b/c we don't plant enough but Sarah always wants to plant it), garlic, more lemon balm...I feel likeI'm missing something. Bought a nice little red raspberry bush that I have great faith in. It's very healthy. I also got some apple mint and some shade-loving flowering perennials of some sort. We have so much shade in our yard that I try to pick up any kind of shade-loving plant in the spring whenever I think of it or have the extra money.
I'm so happy the garden is in. I really love the garden. The house is looking good. We've come a long way. Feeling very blessed. I was remarking to Greg how much nicer the garden soil is since our first garden planted 6 years ago. The dirt was crap then. There was tons of buried trash from long ago. Broken clay pipes, bits of glass, spark plugs, you name it. And lots and lots of rocks. But we built screens and sifted and sifted. We have turned the soil over so many times and change the direction of our rows every year. We plant different things. We rake all of the autumn leaves onto the garden to sit throughout winter and then work them all in come Spring. And this year we had the extra boost of manure from the Cobblestone Farms crappers!
The soil is gorgeous.
Yaay for growing things.

Went out for dinner with Kate, Sarah and Erin Thursday night. Had a great time. Loads of laughs and a great dinner, an awesome dessert and two Smithwicks made me a happy girl. Full belly and an aching face from laughing so much.

Ypsi had their Ypsi Pride Day this weekend. We were schmucks and didn't help. The Riverside district had the responsibility of clearing out and replanting the triangle of land in the Cross St/ Huron St intersection. Not somewhere I can be with my two kids. Plus, Greg did the crazy thing of actually not working his day off, so it was nice to hang out as a family. We guiltily walked past the good citizens on the triangle as we pulled our wagon down to market. Today we walked by as we checked out the VW car show and saw their good work.
I love Ypsi. Despite all the shady stuff that happens at times, I'm very proud to live here.

At any rate, I'm just wasting time and typing away without much to say. It's not often I'm up alone and free from the call of MAMA!or HEY KID! (that would be my husband calling)
But I'm off to bed to read more Wyrd Sisters by Mister Terry Pratchett. Again, hilarious stuff.



Here's Eamon in his favorite jammies (they're covered in pictures of balls). He's being a turkey and peeling my well-done bananas, forcing me to make banana nut muffins when I really didn't want to. And gee, doesn't that look like a safe place for a little toddler to be sitting?
Put down the camera, bad Mama!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
www.birthproject.com

Free Blog Counter