Thursday, April 13, 2006

Why do we put ourselves out HERE?

So after an emotional phone conversation this morning, I'm left wondering just how I feel about Blogs and any Internet journaling. Why do I feel this need to share All ofMe with the World Wide Web? Why do any of us do it?
I for one, find a little patch of sanity reading about other people's dilemmas: their inspirations, their ugly sides, their funny sides, their desires to duct tape their rambunctious toddlers to a wall, or to trade in their spouse for a speechless nanny.
If I were some JoeAnn Schmoe, who worked in the factory and had no reputation to uphold, blogging wouldn't be an issue.
However, I'm a midwife. At least, I'm just at the fine point of starting my practice. Do I really need to blog myself, my life, my emotions out for the public? I read other midwive's blogs and find reassurance from their words of self-doubt and frustration, their joys and how it all affects their families.
Perhaps we should be more guarded? We're opening ourselves up to even more judgment.

It's funny though. It took me a long time to feel comfortable around my senior midwives. They seemed so virtuous, so caring all of the time that I felt like they weren't human. How could I be myself around such saints? For me, I don't feel completely at ease with someone until they expose a little of their darker side. Just crack a joke. Bitch about your spouse, about traffic, something. These women are so darn professional that being snarky is a downright chore for them!
Another midwife I know talks about being a bit nervous when she has to meet up with a gaggle of midwives and to be passive aggressive, she'll smoke the odd cigarette to calm her nerves before she arrives. See, because smoking is a horrible sin to holistic care providers. We must practice what we preach. We must fight for the crown of purity.

And this reminds me of another reason why I left the practice I worked with. My biggest issue was that I wanted people to hire me for me. Not hire me because since I worked with X I must be just like X and when I fail to meet that expectation, the client is upset. I'm talking personality here, not function. And I've witnessed another midwife go through that and it was painful. It was this precarious dance of trying to find independence while trying to please everyone. And it didn't work very well. There was a lot of depression and resentment.
It was a vantage point for me. Like being the youngest and learning by watching the oldest struggle.
And I knew I wouldn't do very well trying to please everyone. I had to find my independence, my style, if you will, first.

And so here I am. I'm just me. Continually trying to do my best. But having some really shitty, hard days from time to time. Should I expose this about myself?
Is this process of blogging out my good and bad days going to come back and bite me?
As a care provider in my community, am I slitting my own throat?
Keeping your mouth shut seemed to be the stance of my senior midwives. That's professional.
And it's safe.

So where do you go to yak it all out? And I yak.
It's in my constitution, I do believe.
I might just throw in the Blogging towel.
I've had some hesitations since starting it. Don't know. I'll need to sit on this one.

I think I'll go find some more midwife blogs and see how they're doing today. Search for something outside of ACOG quotes and legislation articles. I'm looking for emotion.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two quick comments . . .

You're actually a pre-midlife midwife, but who am I to correct you?! (Webster's changed the ages for middle life from the last edition to the present one. Used to be 35-55; now it's "about 40 to 60." Refreshing!)

And I love reading your blog and hear your very sensational voice coming through and think that opening up with full candor is not only healthy and entertaining and a great way to get discussions started but helps other people be more true What a powerful thing--

To boldness and trueness!

8:28 PM

 
Blogger leaner said...

NO! you can't stop. I love reading your blog! I NEED to read your thoughts and stuff.
Personally- I used teh midwife I used because she was more down to earth and less "holistic" and "ethereal" than the others I met.

9:53 PM

 
Blogger leaner said...

I wasn't done commenting last night, but had a baby emergency.
I am in agreement with ms. mudville.
I remember when I first met the doulas in our community and the midwives, it seemed like they were the holier than thous of the homebirthing world. As I get to know them, and talk to them at birth circles... I feel like they are just regular people. It makes me want to be around them more, it makes me want to help them to join them. I am not saying that I want to be a doula or midwife, I just want to be their advocate. I will protest along with them. I will go to the rallies (they haven't had one recently, but there was one about how our state welfare insurance won't cover a homebirth widwife.)
Knowing that your midwife is a real person, makes a connection easier, and isn't that what we need? To connect with the care provider? I know I need to, or I won't open up and I will not tell them things.

Ok, see now,who is rambling on and on today?

10:33 AM

 
Blogger Mid-life Midwife said...

thanks Leaner and ms. Mudville.
It's very hard for me to deal with the Holier-Than-Thou types.
After your lovely comments and a night of full of contemplation~ I say hell with it.
It's my blog. I know what would attract a midwife to me, and it is someone who would be more direct and down-to-earth. Not always a pretty picture. But I can't fake it either. Don't have those skills. I am who I am whether I'm catching babies or being a janitor.
Yes indeed, to boldness and trueness!

12:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm posting an inspiring, bare-naked bit of self-accounting by a woman/writer who lived in Montana a hundred years ago (roughly!). This is just the beginning; the rest is available at http://www.marymaclane.com/mary/works/books/imm-part1.html/ and is, much of it, very cool to read. I hope it bolsters midlifemidwife's resolve to keep putting her self out there!

* * *
(Note: this is a transcription of the published text. I have not yet made a final cross-check of transcription with text, but this is substantially accurate and complete. I have divided the text into several .html files to avoid overloading brousers. M.R.B.)



I, Mary MacLane
by Mary MacLane
Frederick Stokes, New York City, 1917
encoded by Michael R. Brown, October 1999


1. A Crucible of My Own Making

To-day

It is the edge of a somber July night in this Butte-Montana.

The sky is overcast. The nearer mountains are gray-melancholy.

And at this point I meet Me face to face.

I am Mary MacLane: of no importance to the wide bright world and dearly and damnably important to Me.

Face to face I look at Me with some hatred, with despair, and with great intentness.

I put Me in a crucible of my own making and set it in the flaming trivial Inferno of my mind. And I assay thus:

I am rare - I am in some ways exquisite.

I am pagan within and without.

I am vain and shallow and false.

I am a specialized being, deeply myself.

I am of woman-sex and most things that go with that, with some other pointes.

I am dynamic but devasted, laid waste in spirit.

I'm like a leopard and I'm like a poet and I'm like a religieuse and I'm like an outlaw.

I have a potent weird sense of humor - a saving and a demoralizing grace.

I have brain, cerebration - not powerful, but fine and of a remarkable quality.

I am scornful-tempered and I am brave.

I am slender in body and someway fragile and firm-fleshed and sweet.

I am oddly a fool and a strange complex liar and a spiritual vagabond.

I am strong, individual in my falseness: wavering, faint, fanciful in my truth.

I am eternally self-conscious but sincere in it.

I am ultra-modern, very old-fashioned: savagely incongruous.

I am young, but not very young.

I am wistful - I am infamous.

In brief, I am a human being.

I am presciently and analytically egotistic, with some arresting dead-feeling genius.

And were I not so tensely tiredly sane I would say that I am mad.

So assayed I begin to write this book of myself, to show myself in detail the woman who is inside me. It may or it mayn't also show a type, a universal Eve-old woman. If it is so it is not my purport. I sing only the Ego and the individual.

So does in secret each man and woman and child who breathes, but is afraid to sing it aloud. And mostly none knows it is that he does sing. But it is the only strength of each. A bishop serving truly and tirelessly the poor of his diocese serves a strong vanity and ideal of the Ego in himself. A starving sculptor who lives in and for his own dreams is an Egotist equally with the bishop. And both are Egotists equally with me.

Egotist, not egoist, is my word: it and not the idealized one is the 'winged word.'

It is made of glow and gleam and splendor, that Ego. I would be its votary.

So I write this book of Me - my Soul, my Heart, my sentient Body, my magic Mind: their potentialities and contradictions.

- there is a Self in each human one which lives and has its sweet vain someway-frightful being not in depths and not in surfaces but Just Beneath The Skin. It is the Self one keeps for oneself alone. It is the Essence of soul and bones. It is the slyest subtlest thing in human scope. It is the loneliest: tragically lonely. It is long, long isolation - beautiful, terrifying, barbarous, shameful, trivial to points of madness, ever-present, infinitely intriguing to oneself, passionately hidden: hidden forever and forever -

It is my aim to write out that in the pages of this Me-book: no depths save as they come up and touch that, no surfaces save as they sink skin-deep. Only the flat unglowing bloody Self Just Beneath My Skin.

I shall fail in it, partly because my writing skill is unequal to some nicenesses in the task, but mostly because I'm not very honest even with myself.

I'll come someway near it.

9:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad to see mary maclane's words through the web :) there'll shortly be more news about her yet.

11:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
www.birthproject.com

Free Blog Counter