Thursday, August 02, 2007

Life is one big spiral



Isn't that a beautiful cord? They don't all come out like that. Some are lumpy and bumpy and then some like this one, come out all swirly like a machine-made lollipop.
I love this pic, with the cord and then the purple, wrinkly, new-new baby feet to the right. This is a client of mine from the Spring. She just sent me a bunch of great birth photos to put on my website.

The class I taught went fairly well. I hope. While I was talking, I felt I talked fast. It was a combination of friends that I know and then some newer birth junkies who seemed quiet and shy. My apprentice came over today and said she thought it went really well, but then again, she would say that! No, actually she'd probably tell me if I sucked. :)
It felt good to be sharing information. When I was apprenticing (and even a year or two before) I read, and re-read anatomy books over and over again. For a while there it seemed I had a block in my brain that would prevent me from remembering the bones of the pelvis, the stupid pelvimitry measurements, and what hand motions to do next while performing a vaginal exam. Hopefully talking it all out (and in class 3 actually feeling them!) with a fake pelvis, some stories, and having everyone try it themselves on the plastic pelvis will make things a little easier for them to learn and remember.

Other than this...
I'm coming up to two women due this month.
S will be starting school in a month. E might be going to some kind of preschool in the fall, maybe.
It's hotter than hell these last few days and the next few coming. Around 97 with crazy humidity.
Poor G. His work called him at 3am to tell him they'd be starting work at 5:30am instead of 7am to try to beat the heat. He didn't go to bed until 10:30pm, so he was beat. Imagine working on a 2 mile square of blacktop; getting in and out of stinky new cars that have been sitting for days in the sun (maybe 125 degrees inside), driving them quickly onto extremely hot, metal trains, and then chaining them down. Finish that, jump down and get into the next line of hot, stuffy cars.
I hope that I can make enough money in the next few years that he can quit that place. Even if it's only to work some crappy office job. Not that he'd work an office job. Who knows? He should be a florist.
A florist with health benefits.

Then again, we saw Sicko a few weeks ago and were so down afterwards that we went to the bar for a beer to talk about moving to Canada or England so that our kids will have health benefits when they're older.

Okay, I should go to bed. I have a morning prenatal tomorrow and I have to take my kids to a friend's place across town because my mom isn't home this week.
I'm sure it will be a hectic, running late type of drive. We're out of the habit of fast mornings out the door.
Soon enough, we'll be doing it again. Every morning. Eating cereal as we watch Curious George on PBS. Me swearing to myself in the kitchen as I spill coffee on my shirt and hate myself for not making lunch the night before. E will be bed-head galore and plopped into his car seat in his pajamas while I yell at S for the 5th time to drag a brush through her hair.
Then we'll get in the car and listen to square, old Dick Purtan on 104.3 because the Volvo doesn't have a CD player anymore and we only want music in the morning. Dick Purtan tells corny jokes but he at least plays music. Everyone else talks, and me and the kids have no patience for that as we drive down Packard on weekday mornings.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sicko is a good movie, ( I love MM), but don't be completely duped into thinking that the system in the UK is perfect. (Can't speak for Canada). Taxes are way higher, the cost of living is also WAY higher than here, and us "average" folks don't get paid extra to compensate. Speaking as someone who used to nurse in the NHS, it is SUPER for emergent stuff, however, if you need something non urgent such as a hip replacement, be prepared to wait for months. Staffing levels are poor, (especially nursing staff), and the care, although good generally is not utopian. You don't get to choose the "good" Dr's or hsopitals either. You make an appointment and you get what you are given. However, having said all of that, I would trade the system here for there anyday for peace of mind at the very least. The system here is just so anxiety provoking financially with all the co- pays, deductables etc. I too worry about the future and healthcare for my family.

12:39 PM

 
Blogger Mid-life Midwife said...

My husband is British (and still a citizen), so the UK could definitely be an option. Plus, there's a lot of family there. I figured "how good it looks over there" would've been embellished in Sicko. I certainly appreciate your comment.
When I was 13 my mother tore an abdominal muscle and was denied care at an ER because she didn't have health insurance (despite huge pain and a hugely spreading "bruise" across her belly as she bled internally). My 21 year old sister who brought her there, had to give them her credit card so that they would see my mother.
It's so screwed up here.

4:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't realise your huddy was a Brit!! :)

I am also still a UK citizen and sometimes think about us all moving back there as my family and many friends are still there too. I do still miss it a little. However, honestly I don't think we could afford it on the money they pay nurses over there. (Low pay being another consequence of nationalised healthcare). I have many friends who still nurse, and they have to make many very hard choices on a daily basis about what they can afford. I feel very fortunate here to have the life that I do, and it's not just about buying stuff, it's about peace of mind generally.

Think of this though, almost ALL the babies there are delivered by midwives!! EVERYONE has the right to choose a home birth by law if they want, and Ob's only play a part in high risk deliveries or as needed. I Don't know what you would have to do to get registered over there but you would be more than welcome I am sure! :)

12:04 PM

 
Blogger leaner said...

that is crazy that they wouldn't see your mom! I know here that the ER sees people w/o insurance all of the time. I went during my first pg because I was miscarrying and did not have insurance. They do not refuse service to anyone. They can not by law.

10:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
www.birthproject.com

Free Blog Counter