Thursday, March 16, 2006

Divorce is final~not for me, thank God!

So my mom is legally divorced. Because her now ex-husband didn't show up to court (Still never even got a lawyer), the judge granted the settlement as fair and the marriage as dissolved in as little as 10 minutes. Amazing. This was a great outcome. There are still a bunch of details and paperwork and selling the house and all of that, but the good news is that she won't be sent to the poor house (just yet) and the divorce process won't go on and on.

It was really strange sitting in the court room though. Anyone can watch the process of people getting divorced.It seems you're given a date and a time, but it's still first-come, first-serve. I watched at least 7 couples have their marriages dissolved in less than an hour. 3 of these people were alone like my mom. How can you not show up to your own divorce? What a slap in the face that must be. Two women were silently bawling their eyes out. Most of the people were young and were only married 3-4 years. Some had kids. It was surreal. I was there in my midwife mode: straight back, easy expression, breathing evenly, rubbing my mom's back and holding her trembling hands. After a while though, I was fairly depressed yet equally grateful that Greg and I have managed to keep our shit together over these past 11 years.
And to add some oomph to it, this was after one of those yearly drag-out discussions about money and debt and all that fun stuff. The same script, but the emotions that come up never cease to amaze me.We weren't fighting, but we were in "serious discussion" mode.
We made up before bed, but I was drained and puffy-eyed the next morning. So it was strange watching all these strangers getting divorced. Blech.

After the courthouse, the mood of the day changed for the better and my mom and I ate at a Cracker Barrel, of all places. We were both more chatty and lighter. Not bad. A much better day than we had hoped for.

I think I must be ovulating because I had a dream that George Clooney (in O Brother, Where Art Thou character) was having sex with me under a clothing rack in a department store. And I am so not the type to swoon over handsome celebrities. Weird.

I'm in the middle of doing our taxes via Turbo Tax. I hate this task. I dread it. But it's so much money to pay someone to do them.
I also need to get my shit together to have my portfolio ready to send in. I need to have the midwives come with me to a notary on their signatures, I need the 3 letters of recommendation filled out, I need a bunch of piddly stuff that will make me keep putting it off.

All right, I need to go eat something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
www.birthproject.com

Free Blog Counter