Tuesday, December 04, 2007

SHIT!! My kid has Lice!

AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!
Lice has been a slight epidemic at S's school in the past month or so.
She hung out with a school friend Saturday and by Monday morning was itching like mad. I couldn't see anything and put it down to not rinsing out her shampoo properly. She took another shower and seemed fine... Until this morning.
I saw 2 little louses. Ack!!

Now everything her head has touched is being washed in scalding hot water. I'm waiting for the sun to come up so I can go to the store and buy Cetaphil. Apparently there is a new and more effective treatment for lice other than Nix (the hardcore pesticide). Cetaphil is an over-the-counter soap for sensitive skin/ acne. The method is supposed to be better.

We shall see.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry, This happens to us all at some point! Very common, just not something we generally bring up over a cup of tea and a biscuit, or at the parent committee meetings! :)

We brought them back from overseas last year, hmm, nice I know!

Good luck with the delousing and know you are NOT alone!!!!

3:40 PM

 
Blogger Mid-life Midwife said...

thanks for your support Anonymous!
I'm finally done with the washing... for today

7:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We did the combing method which is the treatment of choice now for head lice over in the UK. It is good because it involves no nasty chemicals but not so good if you have a child in school where you pretty much have to get them all over and done with.

You have to be careful though to do it properly or you are right back TO square one in the infestation dept.

2:45 AM

 
Blogger leaner said...

AH! My daughter came home on Monday saying "They checked our hair and our ears today!" There was a case of lice and also a hearing check. I am so glad we don't have lice. Because as a kid, I had it and it was terribly itchy!

6:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Both my kids had them twice.
The best treatment that worked was getting conditioner and teatree oil mixing them together and applying to wet hair.
Then sitting there with them in the tub so they can play in warm water and just using tweezers to pick them all out one by one.
Painstaking but it works.
Then use the nit killer treatment overnite.
A few days later, check again, and the next day, check again. Pretty much for the next two weeks cause thats when the little suckers will hatch again.
I found using a electrified comb to be great cause it zapped the suckers if it was still there. I am not sure if you can get this in the states.
Also a teatree oil spray on the hair deters the transfer of bugs apparently. I say this cause it worked for me so not "proven".
Most of all don't let them disturb you. I understand its distressing to think of the kids as "lousy" but EVERYONE has them to deal with at some point and time.
Chin up and get the tweezers out!!!
Kelly

8:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
www.birthproject.com

Free Blog Counter