Monday, November 26, 2007

Back to Life

Thanksgiving went well. My brother and my mom joined us for dinner. I think we hit around 80% local for the food. My mom brought the pumpkin pie made with a can o' Libby's, despite the fact that I had cooked, mashed pumpkin frozen in the basement.
No Cool Whip, hurray! I forgot we needed corn, because mashed potatoes without corn just isn't as good, so I bought a bag of frozen sweet kernels from Trader Joe's.

It was delicious. Afterward we went for a lovely, cooold half hour walk in the night. That was great. I hate sitting around all stuffed and pained from too much food. S and I had fun looking into folk's lit up houses and laughing about how much Ikea stuff our fair neighbors have too. We know Ikea so well we can identify just about every item from that store.

Friday our new computer came (a week early)~ which was great. The monitor is 19" and it just seems too darn big. Like I have one of those page magnifiers that old people use to read the newspaper. I've reverted to looking at my fingers when I type because the screen makes my eyes all buggy.

The weekend was fairly low key. I bought a new pair of Dansko's because I busted a hole (can you believe that?!) in the top of my right shoe, also Dansko. I always feel terribly guilty whenever I spend more than $10 on myself, but I've said it's my Christmas present (not that G and I ever really get each other presents). He just spent $200 on winter running gear because he's been freezing his butt off since the cold weather has arrived. So there are our new presents. Merry Christmas.

I have been on call to attend a birth with a friend midwife. The client was having baby #3 and had both her first and second kids in the hospital at 42+ weeks. She had this baby at 42 weeks, 5 days. I missed the birth by 5 minutes (she lives over an hour away), but my midwife friend was there and caught the baby. You would not believe the amount of thick, cheesy vernix floating in the pool water! Amazing! That woman would've never made it to 42 weeks in a hospital around here. They would've induced a week and a half ago, and at what cost for her baby? And for her own body?
At any rate, we cleaned up, got everyone stable and fed and I was home by 6:30am. The moon was so huge and full and there was snow up where we were at. It was so nice to be the only one on the highway with a huge moon reflecting the bright snow. Just another reason why I love this job. These beautiful opportunities to drive on an empty road in the middle of the night and take in everything around you and the new life you've just seen unfold and begin a new journey. Something so small, yet so big at the same time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
www.birthproject.com

Free Blog Counter