Thursday, April 24, 2008

Helping the elderly drink Diet Coke



I got a call a few days ago from Mr. Senior Guy. (if you've read this dumb blog over the last couple years, you'll know I used to work helping him out 20 hours a week while I got going with my midwifery practice. Since I've quit, I've been able to pay off my mortgage and buy a Lexus. Wooo-weeee! Midwife money! ---Okay, so I still have a mortgage and a 17 year old volvo...but thank goodness I don't have 2 part time jobs anymore!)
At any rate, Mr. Senior Guy called me and asked if I could help him sell his electric wheelchair via eBay. We set up a time and that was this evening. It was so nice to be back there! Honestly, straight in the door and I'm handed a Diet Coke, just like always. His girlfriend was there, and she's a sweetheart. She and I are "two peas in a pod" as she always says. We come from the same mold. I'm honored she thinks so.
I ended up listing the wheelchair on craigslist instead of eBay because it's be nearly impossible to ship a 300 pound electric wheel chair and also because I didn't want him to have to deal with BUY IT NOW or auction.
I had to write out directions for him to check his email (or to have the day time aid do so).

We caught up. My throat hurts from talking so loudly (he's got a hearing aid that's as functional as a chunk of potato). They offered me microwave popcorn. It felt really good to be back. I stayed for a little over an hour and said I'd come back and help some more if the beast of a wheelchair didn't sell.

I was sent home with a stack of old large-print Reader's Digests and money crammed into my hand for helping. Tried not to take it but he wouldn't hear of it. Absolute sweethearts.
I'm so glad I took that job two years ago. I met the grandparents I wish I had had.

4 Comments:

Blogger leaner said...

How sweet. It is funny how the people we need enter our lives, isn't it.

12:15 AM

 
Blogger Mid-life Midwife said...

Hey Leaner,
I haven't been able to comment on your blog for a while. I always get an error message. Do you know what's up?

7:51 AM

 
Blogger leaner said...

no clue. It seems to work for other people.

12:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss working with more elderly people, they always have so much to teach us don't they?

6:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
www.birthproject.com

Free Blog Counter