Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Bunkbeds a.k.a, Homebirth Socieology

Last week we had three babies born. Two of the babies were #4 in their birth order, and one was a #8!
Years ago, I was definitely skeptical, perhaps even cynical about large families. I admit it. I was #3 of 3, and in my mind, that was enough kids, if not too many. My husband and I have been parked at two kids for 4 years now, and many family members assume that's it for us, because two is clearly enough children.
That's what reasonable people do, stop at two children.

Over the last decade, there has been a proliferation of mini-mansion Pulte homes. It has somehow become the norm for folks to have a bedroom for each child in the family. It has become the norm to have a formal living room (where no one ever sits, let alone lives) and then a "family room" relegated to children as a playroom, a TV room, a computer/video game room- a go-away-don't-bother-me room. This isn't a terribly new concept, I admit. I can remember playing in a many a friend's finished-basement with shag carpeting on concrete floor, record players and toys as a child in the late 70's, early 80s.
But even as a child in a family of 3 kids, I shared a bedroom with one of my siblings until I was 13. And I liked it.
Anymore though, many folks make a face and sneer when you talk about kids older than 3 years of age sharing a bedroom; as if it's abusive to have kids sharing their sleeping/playing space.

As a midwife, I meet a lot of my clients in our office, not seeing their home until around 34-35 weeks. I'm always pleased to see these larger families (i.e., more than 2 kids) living as I remember families living: bunkbeds and dressers in the kid's bedrooms, and toys in a toy box. There is no huge playroom devoted to shutting children away (if there ever was one, it's since become a bedroom!), or for storing massive amounts of toys/video games/movies.
Then there's the interaction and communication of the larger family...
When you live with more people, you're forced to learn how to communicate better, how to share not only your possessions, but your personal space. Surely, this is a great life skill to learn young.
I've spent the last week hanging out with larger families, and I've definitely noticed the difference in how these kids interact compared to my own kids, my own nephews and my friend's kids (the friend's with one or two kids).
I'm not saying the kids in families with one or two children are worse off, or sadly missing out on anything. I'm just coming to realize that there is a lot to be said for the kids in larger families. They are not to be pitied, their parents are not to be sneered at.
None of this stuff about them needing their own separate bedrooms for their personal growth, creative growth or self esteem seems to be true. No Pulte mini-mansion is needed to house so many.

I realize and respect the argument that this old Earth is heavily populated; many are starving, suffering and dying for lack of food, housing, and medicine. That is the same argument I would make about large families for years (and still do). Nothing has changed about that truth. The only thing that has changed is that I have had the opportunity over the years to spend time in hundred's of families homes, in their most intimate moments, when they are birthing a new life under their roof. Regardless of social class, living situations, personal relationships... babies keep coming. And they grow, they acquire stuff, and they need a place to sleep and food to eat.

I've witnessed many large families teach their children how to grow their own food, how to do chores (at the GASP! young age of 4 or 5!), how to care for a younger siblings and how to live peacefully with others.

They have taught me to admire the way they live, and the shocking idea that children can share a bedroom and still grow into fine individuals.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally know what you mean. I grew up in a family of four, always shared a room, and I feel like it did me a lot of good. I also knew lots of kids from families of 7 or 8 kids, and they all worked together with minimal whining- a rare occurrence at our house. I'm sure they had their problems, but I've grown to admire big families for their thrift and hard work, community and love. It's so nice to be reminded of that! :)

5:16 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've recently learned that in the province of Ontario it is now illegal for children of opposite sex to share a bedroom after the age of 3. CAS can apprehend your children if they find out.

The 'overpopulation' argument is a very interesting one. Have you seen the movie "Children of Men?". In the special features there is a commentary about that issue and it was persuasive enough to convince me (who was convinced that I did not want children) that you do the world a disservice by not having children when you can. It was a bit of a mind-bender....

10:58 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
www.birthproject.com

Free Blog Counter