Sunday, September 28, 2008

Advanced Maternal Age




I had a birthday last week. My good friend Kate called me on my birthday morning to wish me a happy day and to ask how it felt to be 35.

"I'm officially of advanced maternal age now!"

"Eeew,that's kind of creepy," she said.

I had a pap with my female OB a couple weeks ago and she told me that at my next visit she'd get to check the "elderly" box on my lab requisition for my pap, and that should I ever get pregnant again, they'd have to run "more tests than they do on younger women".

Now, I happen to know that all the paperwork in front of her listed my occupation as "midwife". She knows I do homebirth. She's asked me about it before, in a very halting, try not to show her extreme disregard for it way.

So check the "elderly" box for me, folks.

I'm 35!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! :)

I had my first baby at 35 and had it pounded into me endlessly by my first ob/gyn that I was of "AMA" and would therefore NEED an amnio'. I left that practice soon after for a midwife and did no such thing. What a load of old cods wallop!

8:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
www.birthproject.com

Free Blog Counter